MAKING HEALTHY HABITS A LIFESTYLE
SAUERKRAUT & KIMCHI
Benefits of Fermented Food
1. Helps to aid in digestion because they fortify the friendly bacteria in the gut optimizing the nutrient value in the food.
2. They contain lactic acid which helps destroy harmful bacteria in the intestines.
3. They are a natural acidophilus, which fortifies the friendly bacteria in the intestines.
4. They are loaded with enzymes. Enzymes are needed by every cell in the body to do their work. Cooked food has no enzymes, raw food has some, but fermented and sprouted food have the most
5. They are high in vitamin C and amino acids.
6. They are pre-digested proteins, making it easy for the body to assimilate. Therefore, they are easily digested by our bodies, taking the stress off our digestive system.
7. Because they are pre-digested, they provide energy to the body in an efficient manner.
8. It's a versatile food: Enjoy as a side dish, on sandwiches, in salads, or on its own as a snack.
Making Sauerkraut or Kimchi
Juicer with blank plate
Weight (1/2gallon water in jar)
Dish or plate
1. Reserve 4 outer leaves of the cabbage.
2. Run the garlic and half the cabbage through the juicer, using the blank plate.
3. Finely chop or shred the remaining cabbage and additional vegetables.
4. Using your hands, squeeze and mix everything together, including the seasoning.
1. Put the cabbage mixture into a large bowl (glass, stainless steel, or a crock pot).
2. Place reserved cabbage leaves over the mixture to completely cover.
3. Place a plate on top of the leaves, cover with a towel and place a weight on top of that.
4. Let sit at room temperature for 3 days (68-80 degrees).
5. Remove leaves and set aside. You can strain juice however, I like the combination of sauerkraut and liquid. Cabbage leaves good for cabbage rolls.
6. Place kraut in a glass bowl and cover or in a glass jar with a lid. Refrigerate kraut and leaves to slow the fermentation process.
7. Kraut keeps refrigerated for up to 2 months. Kraut juice is an enjoyable and nutritious drink or could be used in salad dressings.
Get Creative: Use combinations of any hard fibrous vegetable in sauerkraut recipes.
Celery, Cauliflower, Beets, Daikon, Broccoli, Carrots, Onion.
Experiment: Krauts may also be flavored with any fresh seasoning or herb combinations.
Ginger, Dill, Dulse, Garlic, Basil, Curry, Cayenne, Kelp.
Sauerkraut & Kimchi Recipes
Green cabbage- 1 small head
Dried dill- 1 tsp
Garlic- 1 to 2 cloves
Kelp- 1/2 tbsp
Green cabbage- 1 small head
1/2 to 1 onion
2 tsp curry powder
1 to 2 cloves garlic
1 head red cabbage
6 celery stalk
2 to 3 garlic cloves
1" ginger peeled
Make using fermented cabbage leaves from making sauerkraut.
1. Lay the cabbage leaves flat.
2. Place favorite sprouted salad, quinoa salad or fill with the following:
3. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
Cabbage Roll Filling:
2 cups of peeled & grated cucumber
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 green onion stalk, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh dill, chopped
salt & pepper to taste